Data interpretation and logical reasoning is one such section in the CAT Exam which doesn’t go by a specific rule, but at the same time has the maximum scope of scoring well. It can be any data presented in various forms and some questions related to the data will be asked. The best way to approach the data interpretation section of CAT Exam is to use a combination of skill and strategy. Good calculation speed clubbed with a few logical tricks can transform your questions drastically into simple ones.
As the data interpretation for CAT exam tests your ability to interpret data and comprehend it, it is important to do that before you start going through the question. A lot of questions are real-life examples or things you can relate to. The most difficult thing to do in this section is time management. The importance of realizing when to give up or to keep pursuing a specific question is very crucial.
A few tips that make data interpretation simpler are:
- To begin with, be thorough with squares, cubes, square roots, multiplication tables till 25 and fraction percentage conversion and vice versa.
- While preparing, it is important to practice numerous sample questions and previous year CAT Question Papers to get acquainted with the different question variations in this section.
- It is very important to understand the data logically and clearly before jumping in for the questions.
- The data given in the questions are generally, either of the nature absolute or relative. While absolute data questions are comparatively easier than relative ones, make sure you indulge your time accordingly.
- Sometimes, it is not important to get the exact answer, you could simple approximate and reach the solution. In order to do so, it is important that you go through your options. The process of elimination also comes in handy a lot of times.
- Selective approach for your data interpretation section in the CAT exam is also beneficial. You could either go on basis of your strength and weaknesses or on the level of difficulty and time constraint.
These are the few basic ways you could increase your accuracy keeping the time factor in check. In addition to these, there are data interpretation formulas that help speed up your calculation process.
Percentage growth and reduction are one of the frequently asked questions in the DI section. Hence, knowing the related formulas helps to solve the questions more easily. Comparison of powers and fractions also have formulas that speed up the process of reaching the final answer. Hence, a compiled list of data interpretation formulas can be made and used later for revision purpose.
But more than any data interpretation formula, the thing that comes into play in the data interpretation section is the presence of mind. The quicker you figure out the approach to a given question, the easier your job gets. Data interpretation for CAT is your opportunity to increase your CAT score and so, use it to its best.
CAT aspirants need to start their preparation early and practice as much as possible. One can either join a coaching institute or choose any of the CAT preparation online modes.
CAT aspirants are advised to subscribe BYJU’S YouTube channel and learn various important CAT numerical topics and concepts easily.